Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Rosh Hashanah

Rosh Hashanah literally means the "Head of the Year". Rosh Hashanah is the Jewish new year and commemorates the creation of the world. Rosh Hashanah marks the beginning of a 10 day period of introspection and repentance that culminates in the Yom Kippur holiday. Rosh Hashanah is celebrated over two days. Rosh Hashanah starts at sunset on October.2nd until sunset on October.4th. Rosh Hashanah is one of the holiest days in the Jewish faith and a massive occasion for families to get together. Even though I am not extremely religious and my family no longer attends Rosh Hashanah services at our local synagogue, my family and I still love coming together and celebrating the start of the new year with a delicious family dinner. Dinner the first night begins at sundown. My sister and brother-in-law host a big traditional Jewish dinner at their apartment in New York City. We eat traditional Jewish cuisine, such as Matzoh Ball soup,gefilte fish, and my mother-in-law's famous pot roast and brisket. We all love this evening because it gives us the opportunity to see the extended family. We celebrate the second night at my parents home on Long Island. My two brothers come with their wives and children. My mother also serves the traditional foods, such as gefilte fish,matzoh ball soup, and yummy stuffed cabbage. My mother always begins the meal with a cut up apple that we have to dip in honey to ensure that we all have a sweet new year.Rosh Hashanah is a time to be with family and take a moment to be grateful for all our blessings.






















Word Bank: commemorate    introspection   repentance   culminates    holiest

                      massive         occasion       synagogue   sundown      grateful


Definitions:
1.  Literally:(adverb) actually
2.  Commemorate:(verb) to do something special in order to remember or honor.
3.  Introspection:(noun) to examine your own thoughts.
4. Repentance: (noun) feeling bad for moral shortcomings.
5. Culminates: (verb) to reach the end or the final result of something.
6. Holiest: (adjective) connect to God or a religion.
7. Massive:(adjective) very large
8. Occasion:(noun) special event
9. Synagogue (noun) a Jewish house of worship.
10. Sundown:(noun) the time that the sun goes down.
11. Grateful:(adjective) feeling of showing thanks.

Use the words in the word bank to complete the sentences below.

Vocabulary Exercise:

1. I like to get dressed up when I go out to celebrate a special ________________________.

2. I told my daughter to come home before _________________________.

3. I went to the _______________________ with my family to celebrate Rosh Hashanah.

4. I am _________________________________ for my friends and family.

5. The ______________________________ building came tumbling down.

6. John had shown _________________________________ to his brother, so they were able to mend their relationship.

7. All of the players on the team will receive a championship ring to _________________ the team's amazing season.

8. Rush Hashanah and Yom Kippur are two of the _____________________________ day in the Jewish religion.

9. The Runner had to _________________ crawl over the finish line after hurting his foot to win the marathon.

10. During the retreat, we all had a period of ___________________________.

11. The city council meeting will _________________________ in a vote on the schools budget.

Grammar Point

Simple past tense- Basic form of the past tense in modern english. It is used principally to describe events in the past.

Past perfect tense- Indicates that an action was completed at some point in the past, before something else happened.

Directions: Underline verbs in the past tense.
                   Highlight verbs that are in the past perfect tense.

I Missed My Train

I only missed the train by a few minutes. I was annoyed. If I had walked a bit faster, I might have made my train. If I had left a few minutes earlier, I might have been on time.  Because I missed my train, I had to wait for the next one. I had to wait for an hour and a half.  I bought a cup of coffee and a newspaper. I found a chair to sit on. I drank my coffee and read the newspaper while I waited for the next train.  It was very frustrating.




1 comment:

  1. Very interesting! I enjoyed reading about your celebrations. Good grammar point and exercises. Remember to define the words in the word bank. Also, I think you have some missing possessives: mother-in-law's pot roast ...

    ReplyDelete